Key Ideas and Details
1. Quote accurately from a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
2. Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic; summarize the text.
3. Compare and contrast two or more characters, settings, or events in a story or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g., how characters interact).
Craft and Structure
4. Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative language such as metaphors and similes.
5. Explain how a series of chapters, scenes, or stanzas fits together to provide the overall structure of a particular story, drama, or poem.
6. Describe how a narrator"s or speaker"s point of view influences how events are described.
Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
7. Analyze how visual and multimedia elements contribute to the meaning, tone, or beauty of a text (e.g., graphic novel, multimedia presentation of fiction, folktale, myth, poem).
8. (Not applicable to literature)
9. Compare and contrast stories in the same genre (e.g., mysteries and adventure stories) on their approaches to similar themes and topics.
Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
10. By the end of the year, read and comprehend literature, including stories, dramas, and poetry, at the high end of the grades 4 5 text complexity band independently and proficiently.
We live in a world where technological innovation and global competition are increasing at a pace never before seen. Now is the time to invest in our children to make sure they are prepared to succeed
What are the basic skills my child should be learning in 5th Grade? Learn how you can encourage your child"s learning, detect problem areas, and build a positive relationship with your teacher.
The study of Language Arts prepares students to share ideas, feelings and information in various ways. Browse our pick of essential literature, lessons, and games.
As parents, we all want our children to grow up to be responsible citizens and good people. We want them to learn to feel, think and act with respect for themselves and for other people. We want them
American children must be ready to learn from the first day of school, and of course, preparing children for school is a historic responsibility of parents. Test. It"s a loaded word. Important, someth